Thursday, September 18, 2008

Arty-smarty

*McKinney High School group

*Allison V. Smith lecturing a class from UTA

*McKinney High School group

*Allison V. Smith lecturing another class from UTA

This week has been education week at the gallery. We have had no less than three classes come tour the show in two days! The high school class from McKinney was my favorite. I'd say 75 kids came strolling through. I'm not sure if any of them actually looked at the photographs, but I was sure checking out their style. Most looked like extras on an MTV video shoot. The super cool ones wouldn't even come inside. I think it's a really interesting combination with Allison's current show of Texas schools. Thinking about what happens in the rooms and halls of high school conjures so many memories for me. It wasn't the education so much as the hunt for popularity, insecurity and isolation, ridiculously close and hyperactive friendships, and big-time boy crushes. High-school is a strange time, and Allison's photographs have captured all of its nuances.

No comments: